Poker is globally known as one of the most familiar and iconic card games. It is played with a standard 52 card deck and it is based on various rounds of gambling between players. The aim of the game is to win the shared wagers or ‘pot’ by collecting the strongest hand or being the only player left who has yet to give their cards back to the dealer. This is a move that is most known as a ‘fold’.
Leading Poker Casinos in SA
How to Play Online Poker in South Africa
Online poker brings a plethora of choices; the basics of the game stay the same. Online poker is very simple. Every player gets five cards randomly drawn. Of these cards, players can choose to keep or get rid of the cards as they wish. ‘Jacks or Better’ is the most shared form of online poker. Also, it is the calmest game to learn. Founded on the forte of the player’s hand, the payout can be huge, for instance, a royal flush pays out a couple of times more than any other simple winning hand would.
Tips to Play Online Poker
- Choose any of our listed top online casinos, they have great online poker games.
- Select your choice of online poker.
- Learn the strategy of the game – remember poker is a strategy game.
- Enjoy the game!
Poker Tips and Tricks for SA Players
Skill and strategy play a larger role when it comes to winning in poker.
- There are many versions out there and also machines can payout differently. Check the paytable to confirm that you choose the best machine.
- Make sure you’re acquainted with the game. While the rules are usually the same, all variations of poker have small changes to the rules. Make sure you understand what the changes are so that you can confirm you don’t get caught out by something.
- Be sure that you are fully aware of what the winning combinations are. This will make sure that you keep the important cards in your hand to ensure you win.
- Most online casinos in South Africa allow you to play for free. Be sure to use this feature and get confident with playing the game, as well as growth strategies before playing with real money.
Online Poker Game Rules
Bet: Gambling is done in a clockwise order. If a table does not have a bet the game may begin.
Call: A gambler can only call if there has been a wager on the existing round. Calling contains matching the current wager made by other gamblers.
Check: If there no wager made, a player can check.
Raise: If there has been a wager on the present round, a player can raise. Raising entails a player matching the recent bet and also adding to it.
Online Poker Variants
Standard Five Card or ‘Straight’ Format
The oldest and most unique form of poker. Conventional poker is the least colourful form of the game to play in casinos today.
A hand of five cards is played to every player faced down, after a round of gambling commences. Players are permitted to draw numerous cards from the deck in an effort to improve their ultimate hand.
An old variation of poker, stud includes the mixing of face-up and face-down rounds. The cards are played one at a time with a round of wagering bridging each other.
Community Card Poker
The most usually enjoyed type of poker. Owed to the detail that it is family to iconic Texas Hold ‘em variant, a community card poker joins both face-down and face-up cards – strictly making it a variation of a stud.
Online Poker Hand Values
How to play Poker: Irrespective of the difference being played, the value of the five card hands doesn’t change.
Straight: Any five cards in an order of values – e.g. 2, 3, 4, 5, 6.
Flush: Five cards of the same suit.
Full House: One pair and one three of a kind.
Four of a Kind: Four cards of the same value.
Straight Flush: Five cards in an arrangement of value and of an identical suit – such as 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 of hearts.
Royal Flush: The 10, King, Queen, Jack, and Ace of one suit.
More How to Play Guides